The Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks is one of the oldest London Guilds, having received its first charter from Henry VI in 1442. Its predecessor, the Fraternity of St Nicholas, is mentioned in records as early as 1274.
Originally, as the name suggests, our members consisted of the clerks of the local parishes in the City of London. In modern times, the Company has established a separate charity fund, which gives grants to a range of causes. Many members are also involved in the upkeep and oversight of some of London ancient churches.
What do we do?
We have a number of stated aims. These include:
• support the work of the churches, parishes, clergy and parish clerks associated with the Company
• support the mission of the Church of England and the wider Anglican community
• assist and fundraise for our nominated charities
• support the Lord Mayor and the City of London
• promote fellowship among the members of the Company