St Antholin Budge Row
• St Antholin Budge Row was first recorded in 1119 and stood on Budge Row, a street which no longer exists. The church was rebuilt in the 15th century and in 1666 was destroyed in the Great Fire. It was rebuilt in 1678-1684 by Wren.
• It became famous during the reign of Elizabeth 1 as a stronghold of Puritanism and lectures were regularly delivered at five o’clock in the morning! Even after the demolition of the church the lectures continued well into the twentieth century, though at a more civilized hour.
• John Wesley frequently preached at the church which was often packed.
• In 1829, the upper part of the spire was replaced and the portion taken down, with a dragon's head weather vane and was sold for £5 to Robert Harrild, a printer, who had it erected on his property, Round Hill House in Forest Hill, South London.
• The church was demolished in 1873 to make way for the new Queen Victoria Street
• The money from the sale of the site was used to build St Anthony’s Nunhead and the reredos from the original church is now sited there