St John the Baptist upon Walbrook - The Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks

St John the Baptist upon Walbrook

• St John the Baptist upon Walbrook was a church in the City, so named because a small stream (the Walbrook) ran past its west wall.

• First mentioned in the 12th Century, the parish was renovated in 1621.

• A monument in Cloak Lane marks part of the churchyard along with remaining memorial tablets.

• Destroyed in the Great Fire, by September 6 the city lay in ruins, 86 churches having been destroyed. In 1670 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. Fifty-one were chosen, but St John the Baptist in Walbrook Ward was one of the unlucky minority never to be rebuilt. Following the fire it was united to St Antholin, Budge Row.


Powered by SmugMug Log In