St Saviour Southwark
• St Saviour was a parish and part of the ancient Borough of Southwark.
• It was formed in 1541 from the union of the parishes of St Margaret and St Mary Magdelene. It was abolished in 1930, however residents of the former parish receive a rebate against local taxation because of the presence of Borough market.
• The parish contained the large wholesale food market. The trustees of the market have been appointed by the parish since 1756. Additionally, any profit from the operation of the market must be repaid to the local authority and used to offset local taxation. This arrangement has outlasted the abolition of the parish.
• To the north the parish had a long boundary fronting the Thames and the City of London. It stretched, in modern terms, to include the whole of the Bankside Power Station in the west and fell just short of London Bridge Station in the east. Half of the current site of Guy’s hospital was within the parish, with Great Maze Pond broadly marking the boundary with St Olave. Parts of what is now Newcomen Street, Little Dorrit Court and Southwark Bridge Road broadly marked the irregular southern boundary with St George the Martyr parish. In the west there was a boundary with Southwark Christchurch (formerly the liberty of Paris Garden) that followed, but fell short of, what is now Great Suffolk Street, Sumner Street, and Holland Street.