St Andrew Hubbard
• St Andrew Hubbard was one of the churches destroyed in the Great Fire in 1666. The church was situated close to Philpot Lane, in the area known as Little Eastcheap and took its name from Hubert, a mediaeval benefactor.
• There had possibly been a church on the site for several centuries as excavations have found traces of Roman work below the foundations of the medieval building.
• The church wardens’ accounts are some of the earliest in the City and particularly valuable in giving a continuous account of parish life from about 1454. They present a lively picture of the fifteenth century church with descriptions of a woman keeping her fruit stall at the door to the gatherings in Eastcheap on festival days and the area being overrun with rats.
• Excavations in 1836 suggest that the church was possibly built on Roman foundations.
• St Andrew Hubbard was one of the minority of churches not to be rebuilt after the fire. The parish was united with St Mary at Hill and the site it stood on was used to build the Royal Weigh House. A Parish boundary mark can be found in nearby Philpot Lane.