St Martin Vintry
• St Martin Vintry was a parish church in the Vintry ward of the City. The church stood at what is now the junction of Queen Street and Upper Thames Street just north of Southwark Bridge and the site is marked by a small park outside St Michael Paternoster Royal.
• Numerous documents refer to the church’s early foundation and one old name refers to St Martin Bare-mannechurch. The latter word comes from the old English term signifying porter or bearer, this in turn suggests an early association with the wine trade of the neighbourhood.
• Before the dissolution of the monasteries the patronage belonged to the Abbey and Convent of St Peter, Gloucester.
• It was rebuilt in about 1299 by the executors of a Bordeaux wine merchant, Sir Matthew de Colombars.
• It was refurbished in 1306 and it is possible the choir was paid for by Queen Margaret.
• In the fifteenth century it was given a new timber roof covered in lead.
• The Vintners Company had an Altar in the church dedicated to St. Martin, who was their patron saint. • It is known that the church had a peal of five bells.
• St Martin Vintry was one of 86 parish churches destroyed in the Great Fire. In 1670, a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt.
• Fifty-one were chosen, but St Martin Vintry was not among them. Instead its parish was united with that of St Michael Paternoster Royal.