St Mary Magdelen Milk Street
• St. Mary Magdalene, Milk Street was located on the east side of Milk Street, north of its end in Cheapside, in Cripplegate Ward
• John Stow, in his Survey of 1603, described Milk Street as having many fair houses for wealthy merchants and others. He attributed the etymology of street's name to it being a place where milk was sold. After the Great Fire, the site, together with that of the adjoining church of All Hallows Honey Lane and several houses, was acquired by the City, cleared, and laid out as a market-place, called Honey Lane Market.
• The market closed in 1835 and the Corporation of London built the first City of London School there. The earliest mention of the church was in 1162 as "St. Mary Magdalene in foro Londoniarum." It is also recorded as "St. Mary Magdalene, Milk Street" in a dated between 1203 and 1215.
• Stow described St. Mary Magdalene's as a "small parish church", which had recently been repaired. He lists a number of important Londoners who were buried in the church, including Sir William Cantilo, knight and Mercer (died 1462) and several Lord Mayors of London.
• He notes that Henry Cantlow, Mercer, merchant of the Staple, built a chapel in the church and was buried there in 1495. Hughes confirms that the church records contain the names of many important City dignitaries. The parish was a royalist stronghold in the years leading up to the Civil War. It’s Incumbent was one of those deprived of a living during the Commonwealth
• St Mary Magdalene, Milk Street was one of the unlucky minority never to be rebuilt after the Great Fire.