St Michael Crooked Lane
• St Michael Crooked Lane was an ancient parish church situated on the east side of Miles' Lane, Great Eastcheap in Candlewick Ward in the City. The church was in existence by 1304.
• The church was rebuilt after the Great Fire of London by Sir Christopher Wren and demolished in 1831.
• It was an originally a small church, standing amongst the slaughter-yards of the butchers of Eastcheap. It was rebuilt on a much larger scale in 1336 by John Lovekeyn, four-times Lord Mayor of London and received further benefactions from Sir William Walworth, who was Lord Mayor in 1374.
• The patronage of the church belonged first to the prior and convent of Christ Church, Canterbury until 1408 and later to the archbishop of Canterbury, becoming one of 13 peculiarities in the City of London belonging to him.
• It was in the parish that the first cases of the plague occurred in 1665.
• After its destruction in the Great Fire, the church was rebuilt in 1687. There was a Portland stone tower, about 100 feet high, topped with a perforated parapet, with vases at its angles, and a spire with clock, weather-vane and cross.
• The church was demolished in 1831 to make way for the wider approaches needed for the rebuilt London Bridge. Its parish was united with that of St Magnus the Martyr.
• A stained glass window in the church of St Magnus commemorates the former parish.